Mould – Causes, Restoration and Prevention
Existing both indoors and outdoors, mould can grow in and on materials such as food, furniture, fabrics, carpets, walls, paper, timber and plumbing. Not all mould is harmful, but if left untreated can be a great threat to the safety and hygiene of your home.
Causes of Mould
Mould growth only occurs in the right conditions, when there is a water source or moisture present in an environment with limited or no sunlight. These wet surfaces can grow mould:
- Pipe and roof leaks
- Poor ventilation
- Sewer backups
- Damp basement
Restoring a Safe Environment
If you suspect mould, the very first action you should take is call your local Winmar office. Never try to remove the mould yourself. Improper removal can increase mould spores and expedite harmful growth. To safely and professional remove mould, we perform these services:
- Firstly, we seal off the contaminated areas to prevent the mould from spreading.
- Secondly, we remove all affected materials and clean the surrounding areas with a special antimicrobial chemical agent.
- Thirdly, we run a specialized equipment to clean any mould spores in the air. This is a crucial step because mould is often removed from surfaces, but not the air resulting in regrowth.
Precautions to Prevent Mould Growth Again
Understanding the environment mould likes to grow in is key to prevent it from growing again. After 48-72 hours, untreated water damaged areas will develop mould growth. To prevent facing the mould again:
- Use proper bathroom ventilation when showering
- Check all pipes, roof and sewers regularly for leaks
- Fix all leaks as soon as they arise
- Maintain a working sump pump
- Make sure your home is well ventilated
- If you use a humidifier, make sure to keep the humidity below 55%
- Don’t leave wet clothes in a pile
With our professional remediation services, we can immediately assess and eliminate mould, prevent further property damage, and create a clean and healthy environment for you and your family.
If your home has been affected by a flood, you are more at risk. Don’t wait, if you think something is mould have one of our experts take a look.