Menu

News Updates

Avoid Mould Growth At Home This Spring

In nature, mould serves a purpose, however indoors, mould can grow and multiply causing health problems and property damage. This problem becomes more prevalent during the spring season as rising temperatures melt the snow, resulting in more moisture in the air.

As you prepare your home for spring, make sure to be aware of these important factors to keep your home mould free.

 

Preventing Mould

While mould growth can occur anywhere, these 6 steps are a good way to educate yourself on simple actions you can take to reduce the potential of it happening to you:

  1. Gutters – clean out your gutters to keep them in working order.
  2. Water leaks – fix any leaks from plumbing fixtures or pipes as soon as possible.
  3. Condensation – wipe off condensation found on windows, pipes and walls.
  4. Spills – wipe up any spills or leaks as soon as they happen.
  5. Air conditioner – clean out the drip pans.
  6. Humidity – try to keep the humidity level in your home between 30 and 50 percent.

 

Finding Mould

Not all mould is visible, which can make it much harder to detect. One way to find hidden mould is to smell it. If there’s a musty odour in your home, chances are you have mould growing. You can also check areas prone to water damage: kitchens and bathrooms. Make sure to check areas near pipes, plumbing fixtures, air conditioners and anywhere else prone to condensation buildup.

 

Controlling Mould

With the right conditions, mould can grow and spread rapidly, and moisture is the main trigger here. An increase in moisture can occur often as a result of flooding, sewer backups, plumbing and roof leaks. This is why controlling the moisture level in your home is crucial to prevent mold growth. High moisture levels can cause mold spores, which are always present in the environment to latch onto surfaces such as wood, drywall, or insulation and start growing.

 

If you suspect mould at home, it is important you take action as soon as possible. Do not try to remove the mould yourself as it can be toxic or you can easily make the situation worse! Leave it to our WINMAR® technicians to remediate the mould safely and professionally.

This WINMAR® franchise is independently owned and operated. WINMAR® is a registered trademark owned by WINMAR® International Inc. and is used under license.